Sunday, July 20, 2008

When in Doubt, Go with Pirates


Study the Pirate, children.




We asked the campers to create their own pirate flags ala Jolly Rogers. Their personal interests shone through.



Art Day: Portraits



Interesting.

Summer camp season is back again. Me and fellow volunteer, Adam "The Mad" Henricksen are collaborating to provide a top-notch educational and cultural opportunity for kids 9-15 years of age at the Innovative Euroasian University.

Lesson topics are selected completely free of any oversight by anyone other than Adam or myself. It's an open style of education and summer fun, and creating lessons is basically the hardest thing about the camp. Thankfully, you can always talk about pirates.

We still have a few days remaining, but here are just a few of the topics covered thus far:

Pirate Culture
Art History
Biography on Rembrandt
Japanese Kanji writing
Rock & Roll History
English grammar
The environment

Something That Needs to be Shared

Today, while sitting in my lovely carpet-covered apartment, I received a phone call. From a Chechen man. Whom I don't know. I'm not sure how the fellow received my phone number, but he has called her before, gabbing away like we've been the best of friends since grade school. Through smooth questioning, I have deducted that I met the guy last summer (over a year ago) at a cafe, where he had a fairly threatening tone towards some friends, and he challenged me to the manly sport of showing off bodily scars. He showed me a knife puncture on his side and a stare that held endless years of anger in it, so I countered with a threaded scar on my knee that I received when I got my leg caught in a K-mart stockroom conveyor belt at age 16. That little detail usually illicits snickers, so I told him that it was shrapnel from a gunfight. Through this, we bonded, apparently. And now he calls me for little telephone chitchats, like old women do on Sundays.

The Chechen.


No comments: